Thursday 31 July 2014

The Lacock Adventure

Thursday 31 July 2014
Summer is on, and thanks to the impending doom that is university soon my life will be awash of art angst and lectures (why couldn't they have named them something that doesn't sound inherently boring and awful?). So in the spirit of my last ever summer holiday without these things I have decided to make a dent in my bucket list and have a real adventure.

I started small - I suppose you would call it small, but thanks to the crippling awkward socially anxious puddle that is me I consider this quite a big achievement - I drove somewhere new without my sat nav!

Okay to most of you experienced adventurers this sounds like complete and utter poppycock - I mean really that isn't much of an achievement right? Wrong. I have never in my meer one year of driving, driven anywhere but to and from my boyfriends house
and college. So when he said 'Let's go to Lacock today' I practically melted. I mean it probably doesn't help that my little yellow bumble bee car doesn't exactly drive well. It practically screams up hills and has woefully decided it cannot drive anywhere below 30 and anywhere above 50 - which is a very annoying speed window but I suppose it could be worse..

Anyway! We arrived at Lacock (FINALLY - never trust a man with a map even if that map has the journey literally drawn on it in a big red line.) We parked up and after a small walk ended up in the little village that is Lacock.

Now Lacock if you know about it at all is a village that is owned completely by the national trust. It is so utterly beautiful and well preserved I was in awe. It is definitely a place to visit if you are ever in the South of England. Walking down the completely quiet little high street the first thing I happen to notice was that outside nearly every house was a little un-manned stall with a variety of homegrown veg, herbs, flowers and crafts. All with notes that told you how much everything was and to simply 'post the money through the postbox'. I brought myself a little pressed coin pendant and some lavender to make my room smell gorgeous!

We hadn't actually come for Lacock Abbey but we couldn't resist popping up there to have a look. It was £8.00 entrance for the Cloisters, Museum and Gardens - which was definitely money well spent! The gardens were so beautiful, and they had a variety of little features like giant stumps with steps cut up the side, different telescopes with all different lenses dotted around where there where beautiful views or objects. There was a rope swing and a stream were we sat and ate lunch. After which we wondered around the unbelievably quiet botanical gardens.

When we finally made it to the main event we'd already fallen in love with the place! The gardens where beautiful but as soon as we rounded the corner to the abbey it was bliss. The beautiful stone building opened up and inside the cloisters (which any Harry Potter fans might recognize as the halls and courtyards of the film) was beautiful! My artist senses where tingling at all the little details and textures!

Eventually we had to leave, but begrudgingly. I hope to revisit this place in the winter - If I remember correctly they hold a Christmas market. Hopefully I'll get the chance to enjoy a hot chocolate under the cloisters or beside the frozen stream...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer Days © 2014